Tax Free Shopping FAQs
- Q. What is Tax Free Shopping?
- Tax Free Shopping is the purchasing of certain taxable goods in UAE which will be exported (subject to terms and conditions) whereby shoppers can obtain a refund of the VAT of these items, providing that they validate their purchases according to local rules. Tax Fee refund is only available on goods purchased on or after 18 November 2018.
- Q. Who is eligible?
- You should be 18 or over and not resident in the UAE. Crew members on flights leaving the UAE are not eligible to claim. Under current rules, GCC Nationals are eligible. Please note that there may be restrictions on those with UAE nationality who are resident abroad for the purposes of studying.
- Q. What goods are eligible for Tax Free Shopping?
- Certain taxable goods except for:
• Goods that have been consumed, fully or partly, in the UAE
• Motor vehicles, boats and aircrafts
• Goods that are not accompanied by the overseas tourist at the time of leaving the UAE
- Q. How do I shop Tax Free?
✔ 100% digital
✔ 250 dirhams minimum spend
✔ All done at point of sale in 2 minutes
1. The shopper makes an eligible purchase.
2. The shop assistant captures information from your Passport or GCC National ID card using the solution.
3. The shop assistant enters the transaction purchase price.
4. The Tax Free Tag is attached to the back of the sales receipt.
5. The Tax Free Tag is scanned to link the transaction with the tourist’s Passport or GCC National ID card.
- Please retain the Tax Free Tag and sales receipt, as you will need this validation when you leave the UAE.
- Q. How to validate your goods
1. Before you check in our luggage, take the goods and tagged receipt to one of your validation points.
2. Scan or enter your passport number or GCC National ID card.
3. Follow the instructions on screen, and if you get a green light, you have completed the validation process.
4. If you get a red light, contact one of our Planet staff who are standing next to the validation point of help.
5. Choose your preferred refund method – credit/debit card or cash.
6. Planet processes the refund*
- Q. How much time do I have to complete the procedure?
- TYour tax free tag needs to be validated within 90 days of the purchase date. For instance: a form issued on 1st of April should be validated before the 30th of June. If this is not done, the Tax Free Tag expires, and the refund cannot be claimed.
- Full Terms and Conditions and how to track your refund are available on www.planetpayment.ae.